Install WordPress via CPanel’s Softaculous and Update to the latest version in your newly installed WordPress
If you have already installed WordPress on your crosswinds-hosted site, please peruse the sidebar for issues you may have encountered. If you have not yet installed your WordPress, please read on.
If the idea of creating your database freaks you out, you can use Softaculous (Softaculous FAQ) to install WordPress on your website instead. It requires no special skills or knowledge of coding. The only thing you must remember is that if you decide you no longer want to use wordpress, you must delete a Softaculous installed wordpress via Softaculous. (If you would like to do it yourself, please read the following: WordPress Installation from Scratch.)
The disadvantage of using Softaculous to install your WordPress is that it may be with an earlier (not necessarily completely stable and/or secure) version. Happily, WordPress makes things easy for you to upgrade to the latest stable version.
- Login to your cpanel at http://YOURdomainname.net/cpanel/ Scroll down to Softaculous and click on it.
- Click on “blogs” on the left sidebar menu and then hover over the “WordPress” box that appears in the white area.
- Click on “install”.
- Fill in the boxes. While this can be changed within WordPress, it’s a good idea to ensure from the outset that your password is secure. Never, under any circumstances, tell anyone else your password. Nor should you ever recycle other passwords.
A strong password is an important protection to help you have safer online transactions. Here are some steps to create a strong password. […]
* Make your passwords at least eight (8) [characters] long. […]
* Include a combination of at least three (3) upper and/or lowercase letters, punctuation, symbols, and numerals. […]
* Don’t use the same password for everything.
– microsoft.com – How Secure is my Password
Please read more about secure passwords.
Once the form is filled in, click on the “Install” button at the bottom of the page. You will see the following: “NOTE: This may take 3-4 minutes. Please do not leave this page until the progress bar reaches 100%”. Wait until you see the words “Congratulations, the software was installed successfully”
- Make a note of the URL of your new wordpress admin area. While you are finished with Softaculous, you haven’t finished installing your wordpress quite yet; you must update it to the latest stable version. To do this, please go to your wordpress admin area at http://your-crosswinds-sitename.net/yourwordpressfolder/wp-admin/.
- Using WordPress Admin area, update WordPress to the latest version. WordPress handily points out any needed updates. You can go to “updates” on the sidebar or choose “Please update now” to bring your WordPress up to the latest stable version.
- Select “update now”. Because you’ve just installed WordPress, a backup isn’t required. But please remember to backup your database and wordpress files before updating, once your WordPress is up and running. Sometimes, things go awry. (Without a backup, the fix is a nightmare. With a backup, the fix is relatively simple.)
And now you’re ready to start using your WordPress!
(Please note that the version numbers for WP do not necessarily reflect the most stable version. Use WP’s notifications to ascertain whether you need to upgrade.)